What’s on the inside reflects on the outside. What do I mean? Healthy hair grows from a healthy person. Hair, nails and skin are the first to show there is something wrong with your health. Having a healthy, well balanced diet will help you hair growth and overall health level.
Hair loss occurs with vitamin deficiency
Hair loss occurs when the diet is inadequate especially in the B vitamins – B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6, biotin, inositol and folic acid; and the minerals magnesium, iron, selenium, sulfur, zinc and silicon. So common sense says eat these vitamins to restore hair. Note: There are 8 types of B vitamins and supplements containing all 8 are referred to as a vitamin B complex. Individual B vitamin supplements are referred to by the specific name of each vitamin (e.g., B1, B2, B3 etc.).
- B complex- soybeans, avocado, chicken, collards, green veggies, kale, potatoes, whole grains, beans, peas, carrots, cauliflower, nutritional yeast, bran, nuts, eggs and yogurt
- Biotin- brewer’s yeast, brown rice, bulgur, green peas, lentils, oats, soybeans, sunflower seeds, and walnuts.
- Inositol- peanuts, whole wheat, cabbage, cantaloupe, raisins, and grapefruit.
- Folic acid- green leafy veggies, legumes, peanuts, wheat germ
- Magnesium- avocados, dark green veggies, fresh nuts and seeds, like pumpkin seeds, soy foods and whole grains
- Iron- soybeans, lentils, spinach, apricots, brown rice, cereal, green veggies, oats, raisins, wheat, whole grain bread
- Selenium- Brazilian nuts, fish, poultry, couscous, oat, garlic, onion, whole grains
- Sulfur- Kale, legumes, dairy, cabbage, cauliflower, horseradish, cranberries, fish, egg yolks, onion, garlic.
- Zinc- egg, pumpkin seeds, pecans, whole grains, chicken, turkey, mushrooms, kidney beans, fortified cereals.
- Silicon- apples, oranges, cherries, raisins, grapes, celery, cucumber, cabbage, oats, barley, peanuts, almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds
Hair is made of protein. So without it what would the body have to make hair with? Amino acids are building blocks of protein. L-Cysteine and L-methionine are 2 amino acids believed to improve quality, texture, and growth of hair. They help prevent hair from falling out. The body (particularly the hair follicles) uses calcium in the production of the keratinized protein that makes up the hair. Vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium.
- Protein (essential amino acids)- dairy, eggs, grains, legumes, nuts and seeds, soy foods, meat (Lean meat is better for you), wheat germ
- Calcium- dairy products, broccoli, cauliflower, beans
- Vitamin D- go outside
Preventing dry, brittle hair
- Vitamin A: red and yellow fruits and veggies, green veggies, dark leafy veggies
- Essential fatty acids: walnuts, canola oil, flaxseeds, flaxseed oil, and omega-3-fortified eggs,
Vitamin C aids in improving scalp circulation. It is important to maintain capillaries that carry blood to the follicles. Vitamin E increases oxygen uptake, which improves circulation to the scalp. It improves health and growth of hair. Since hair health is tied to the immune health, vitamin E is believed to stimulate hair growth by enhancing the immune function. Coenzyme Q10 improves scalp circulation. Increases tissue oxygenation. It is also very important for heart health.
- Vitamin C- broccoli, citrus food, kiwi, peppers, regular and sweet potatoes, strawberries, watermelon
- Vitamin E- avocado, eggs, green vegetables
- Coenzyme Q10-Soy, spinach, peanuts, soybeans and vegetable oil.
Cautions: Heat destroys many vitamins so incorporate raw and lightly cooked veggies
- Toss nuts and seeds on various dishes
- Incorporate more vegetables and legumes/beans
- Replace refined breads and pastas with whole grains or whole-wheat versions
- Eat lots of fruits – preferably whole fruit (instead of drinking apple juice eat the apple) and plenty of WATER!
- Avoid-Fatty food, high calorie food, fried foods, smoking, sugar and processed foods
- Have a variety of food. When you have only one or two kinds of food it can lead to poor nutrition and hinder your hair growth. For example don’t just eat a banana everyday because fruits are good for you. Mix up fruits often. Each fruit has its own set of vitamins.
A diet that contains of all the food groups daily but in proper portions please do not follow the S.A.D diet (standard American diet), instead try this hierarchy:
1) Diet should consist of mostly fruits and vegetables.
2) Followed by whole grains
3) Protein: legumes/beans, and soy products and/or lean meats (the meat portion is the size of a deck of card or bar of soap)
3) 1-2 handfuls of nuts
- Eat like a king: Hearty breakfast (never skipped) consisting of whole grain cereal/ porridge, a side of toast with peanut butter, a whole fruit or fruit smoothie
- Eat like a queen: Lunch of a sandwich filled with veggies and a protein source either lean meat or meat substitute. Lay off the mayo. Or have leftover dinner taken to work or school.
- Eat like a pauper: Dinner that’s not late at night – try a salad sprinkled with nuts, fruit salad or a light meal version (instead of a big plate of lasagna make it a smaller plate of lasagna made with whole wheat/grain pasta.
Once you get going in this area of your life you will not only be getting trim and sexy you will be growing some nice healthy hair. Be naturally sexy!Source: afrokinkilove
- lacrimosarequiem likes this
- redfoxluv likes this
- curlyhairismyweakness likes this
- thoughts-for-thots reblogged this from afrokinkilove
- thoughts-for-thots likes this
- stardustviolet likes this
- nottumblerfamous likes this
- kisero likes this
- runamoke likes this
- beautybymotherearth reblogged this from afrokinkilove
- beautyfromheadtotoe likes this
- indeedtheshit likes this
- geny85 likes this
- lahciguapa likes this
- dontblowmysugarhigh likes this
- thedarkinkyoungirl likes this
- mookiewiththeswagger likes this
- tbmfanficreviews likes this
- chanelvstyeisha likes this
- dont-take-life-so-seriously likes this
- getoutofmyhair likes this
- hello-to-the-brand-new-me reblogged this from afrokinkilove
- frontpageher likes this
- vivalakatelynn likes this
- fuckyeahchangeforfun-n reblogged this from afrokinkilove
- theyouthful-queen likes this
- majestic-jc likes this
- ambitiouslyphenomenal likes this
- i-believe-in-valor likes this
- idesire2inspire likes this
- feministe-fatale likes this
- groovyspaceprincess likes this
- neutral-thinkin likes this
- malissasoldblog likes this
- tuberose likes this
- tigertraceur likes this
- shmarshmar likes this
- mslockit reblogged this from afrokinkilove
- arocktheparty likes this
- munaaaachi likes this
- watervoodoo likes this
- gurlwiththeowltattoo reblogged this from imjessnatural
- naturalista02 reblogged this from imjessnatural
- radiantflame reblogged this from imjessnatural
- imjessnatural reblogged this from afrokinkilove
- kroxx likes this
- babyitsagthaang likes this
- vikxo likes this
- winter--smoulder likes this
- jamallamas likes this